DIYprojects.info
DIY Guides | DIY Projects | DIY forums, newsgroups



SearchSearch
RegisterRegister Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages ProfileProfile Log inLog in
preserving habaneros
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Index -> Edible gardening (rec.gardens.edible)
Author Message
frank megaweege
Guest





PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:03 am    Post subject: preserving habaneros Reply with quote

My habanero plant is absolutely covered with peppers and they're
starting to turn orange - this, in addition to, some other varieties of
chili peppers that appear ready to harvest and it's too much to deal
with at once.
What's the best way to keep them for the longest amount of time?
Freeze the fresh peppers? Dry? (in the oven?) Dry, then freeze?
About how long can I keep them with any of these methods?
How long would homemade hot sauce or salsa keep in the fridge?
-thanks
Back to top
Thomas
Guest





PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:15 am    Post subject: Re: preserving habaneros Reply with quote

You probably are aware that habs have a bad habit of rotting if not used
rather quickly. Oven drying will work if you dry them at a very low temp
for a long time, however the downside is the smell and eye irritant issues
in the house. I've had very good luck in the past when I smoked them dry.
I cut off the tops and removed the seeds and membranes with some long
kitchen tweezers. I highly recommend using gloves to do this. If you
don't, you will invariably touch around your eyes (or more sensitive body
parts *wink*) I promise you don't want to do that. I used a small backyard
smoker and I used charcoal for heat and mesquite wood for the smoke, but
hickory, pecan or apple wood would work.
Smoke them on a VERY low temp for a long time and check them often. You
will be able to tell when they are dry. I still use some that I have in a
spice jar which I smoked over 5 years ago.
good luck!
"frank megaweege" <wvhillrunner@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1155240224.346601.130250@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com...
Quote:
My habanero plant is absolutely covered with peppers and they're
starting to turn orange - this, in addition to, some other varieties of
chili peppers that appear ready to harvest and it's too much to deal
with at once.
What's the best way to keep them for the longest amount of time?
Freeze the fresh peppers? Dry? (in the oven?) Dry, then freeze?
About how long can I keep them with any of these methods?
How long would homemade hot sauce or salsa keep in the fridge?
-thanks
Back to top
OmManiPadmeOmelet
Guest





PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: preserving habaneros Reply with quote

In article
<itRCg.588535$Fs1.144998@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
"Compostman" <Not_compostman@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

Quote:
"frank megaweege" <wvhillrunner@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1155240224.346601.130250@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com...
My habanero plant is absolutely covered with peppers and they're
starting to turn orange - this, in addition to, some other varieties of
chili peppers that appear ready to harvest and it's too much to deal
with at once.
What's the best way to keep them for the longest amount of time?
Freeze the fresh peppers? Dry? (in the oven?) Dry, then freeze?
About how long can I keep them with any of these methods?
How long would homemade hot sauce or salsa keep in the fridge?
-thanks


Most ovens are too warm to properly dry chilies. But you can try it. Just
watch things closely. I have a dryer and it works great for chilies, even
habaneros. I do it in the attic with good ventilation. Also wear gloves
when handling the chilies. I buy packages of 100 latex or similar gloves at
a time. I also recommend wearing goggles and a gas mask if you grind them.
_________________
John Henry Wheeler
Washington, DC
USDA Zone 7

What about just canning them?
--
Peace!
Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a ***"
-- Jack Nicholson
Back to top
zxcvbob
Guest





PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: preserving habaneros Reply with quote

frank megaweege wrote:
Quote:
My habanero plant is absolutely covered with peppers and they're
starting to turn orange - this, in addition to, some other varieties of
chili peppers that appear ready to harvest and it's too much to deal
with at once.
What's the best way to keep them for the longest amount of time?
Freeze the fresh peppers? Dry? (in the oven?) Dry, then freeze?
About how long can I keep them with any of these methods?
How long would homemade hot sauce or salsa keep in the fridge?
-thanks



Freeze them. They will take up less room if you cut them up first
(large dice works well.) They will last for years in the freezer. Wear
rubber gloves when you chop them, and throw the gloves away.

Bob
Back to top
Compostman
Guest





PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: preserving habaneros Reply with quote

"frank megaweege" <wvhillrunner@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1155240224.346601.130250@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com...
Quote:
My habanero plant is absolutely covered with peppers and they're
starting to turn orange - this, in addition to, some other varieties of
chili peppers that appear ready to harvest and it's too much to deal
with at once.
What's the best way to keep them for the longest amount of time?
Freeze the fresh peppers? Dry? (in the oven?) Dry, then freeze?
About how long can I keep them with any of these methods?
How long would homemade hot sauce or salsa keep in the fridge?
-thanks


Most ovens are too warm to properly dry chilies. But you can try it. Just
watch things closely. I have a dryer and it works great for chilies, even
habaneros. I do it in the attic with good ventilation. Also wear gloves
when handling the chilies. I buy packages of 100 latex or similar gloves at
a time. I also recommend wearing goggles and a gas mask if you grind them.
_________________
John Henry Wheeler
Washington, DC
USDA Zone 7
Back to top
OmManiPadmeOmelet
Guest





PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: preserving habaneros Reply with quote

In article <4k28p3Fa8ql4U1@individual.net>,
zxcvbob <zxcvbob@charter.net> wrote:

Quote:
frank megaweege wrote:
My habanero plant is absolutely covered with peppers and they're
starting to turn orange - this, in addition to, some other varieties of
chili peppers that appear ready to harvest and it's too much to deal
with at once.
What's the best way to keep them for the longest amount of time?
Freeze the fresh peppers? Dry? (in the oven?) Dry, then freeze?
About how long can I keep them with any of these methods?
How long would homemade hot sauce or salsa keep in the fridge?
-thanks



Freeze them. They will take up less room if you cut them up first
(large dice works well.) They will last for years in the freezer. Wear
rubber gloves when you chop them, and throw the gloves away.

Bob

Disposable latex and latex free gloves are available in the paint
section at Lowe's and other home improvement stores. They are cheap.

I use them for a LOT of kitchen work, including working with garlic
(when I'm crushing large amounts of it), slicing or processing hot
chilies, and mixing ground meats.

I made meatballs the other day and wore disposable latex gloves. It was
SO nice and tidy! :-)

I just hate getting grease all over my hands. ;-p

I also use them for doing any spray painting, or scrubbing items with
bleach or acid solutions. My hands are a lot happier. ;-)
--
Peace!
Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a ***"
-- Jack Nicholson
Back to top
frank megaweege
Guest





PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: preserving habaneros Reply with quote

Thomas (dot) wrote:
Quote:
You probably are aware that habs have a bad habit of rotting if not used
rather quickly. Oven drying will work if you dry them at a very low temp
for a long time, however the downside is the smell and eye irritant issues
in the house. I've had very good luck in the past when I smoked them dry.
I cut off the tops and removed the seeds and membranes with some long
kitchen tweezers. I highly recommend using gloves to do this. If you
don't, you will invariably touch around your eyes (or more sensitive body
parts *wink*) I promise you don't want to do that. I used a small backyard
smoker and I used charcoal for heat and mesquite wood for the smoke, but
hickory, pecan or apple wood would work.
Smoke them on a VERY low temp for a long time and check them often. You
will be able to tell when they are dry. I still use some that I have in a
spice jar which I smoked over 5 years ago.
good luck!

I'm still not sure what approach I'll take. I don't have a dehydrator
or a smoker and don't want to fumigate the house buy using the oven. I
may throw some in the freezer for now and experiment on some others
with a charcoal grill.
Back to top
OmManiPadmeOmelet
Guest





PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: preserving habaneros Reply with quote

In article <1155317241.135278.96890@i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
"frank megaweege" <wvhillrunner@gmail.com> wrote:

Quote:
Thomas (dot) wrote:
You probably are aware that habs have a bad habit of rotting if not used
rather quickly. Oven drying will work if you dry them at a very low temp
for a long time, however the downside is the smell and eye irritant issues
in the house. I've had very good luck in the past when I smoked them dry.
I cut off the tops and removed the seeds and membranes with some long
kitchen tweezers. I highly recommend using gloves to do this. If you
don't, you will invariably touch around your eyes (or more sensitive body
parts *wink*) I promise you don't want to do that. I used a small backyard
smoker and I used charcoal for heat and mesquite wood for the smoke, but
hickory, pecan or apple wood would work.
Smoke them on a VERY low temp for a long time and check them often. You
will be able to tell when they are dry. I still use some that I have in a
spice jar which I smoked over 5 years ago.
good luck!

I'm still not sure what approach I'll take. I don't have a dehydrator
or a smoker and don't want to fumigate the house buy using the oven. I
may throw some in the freezer for now and experiment on some others
with a charcoal grill.

And everybody is ignoring my canning suggestion.... :-(

Thanks.

IMHO freezing ruins peppers.
I've ended up tossing every frozen pepper me or my mom every tried.

They are......

gross.

I have a dehydrator. Drying in small amounts should be no big deal.

If the smell is that bad, do it out in the garage or a sheltered outdoor
area with an extension cord.

I dry peppers every year, Jalapenos, bell strips and chili petins and
feed most of them to my ***. They are a rich source of vitamin C
that birds need.

She loves them and fresh citrus is messy and attracts fruit flies.

But I'd never offer her an Habanero. ;-) That'd be mean....

Her favorite is a handful of fresh chili petins in her food dish. She
ends up with a pink beak and I refuse to play "kissy bird" when she has
pigged out on them. <G> I have a hyooge bush of them in the yard that is
a perennial.

Gives a whole new meaning to the concept of "hot lips". ;-)
--
Peace!
Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a ***"
-- Jack Nicholson
Back to top
frank megaweege
Guest





PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: preserving habaneros Reply with quote

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
Quote:
In article <1155317241.135278.96890@i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
"frank megaweege" <wvhillrunner@gmail.com> wrote:

Thomas (dot) wrote:
You probably are aware that habs have a bad habit of rotting if not used
rather quickly. Oven drying will work if you dry them at a very low temp
for a long time, however the downside is the smell and eye irritant issues
in the house. I've had very good luck in the past when I smoked them dry.
I cut off the tops and removed the seeds and membranes with some long
kitchen tweezers. I highly recommend using gloves to do this. If you
don't, you will invariably touch around your eyes (or more sensitive body
parts *wink*) I promise you don't want to do that. I used a small backyard
smoker and I used charcoal for heat and mesquite wood for the smoke, but
hickory, pecan or apple wood would work.
Smoke them on a VERY low temp for a long time and check them often. You
will be able to tell when they are dry. I still use some that I have in a
spice jar which I smoked over 5 years ago.
good luck!

I'm still not sure what approach I'll take. I don't have a dehydrator
or a smoker and don't want to fumigate the house buy using the oven. I
may throw some in the freezer for now and experiment on some others
with a charcoal grill.

And everybody is ignoring my canning suggestion.... :-(


I've never done any canning and don't have the supplies so I guess
that's why I ignored it. Plus it seems like a jar full might still be
too much at once, after I opened it.
Smoking some other drying method is making sense to me because then I
could use it a little bit at a time.


Quote:
Thanks.

IMHO freezing ruins peppers.
I've ended up tossing every frozen pepper me or my mom every tried.

They are......

gross.

I have a dehydrator. Drying in small amounts should be no big deal.

If the smell is that bad, do it out in the garage or a sheltered outdoor
area with an extension cord.

I need to research dehydrators.

Quote:

I dry peppers every year, Jalapenos, bell strips and chili petins and
feed most of them to my ***. They are a rich source of vitamin C
that birds need.

She loves them and fresh citrus is messy and attracts fruit flies.

But I'd never offer her an Habanero. ;-) That'd be mean....

Her favorite is a handful of fresh chili petins in her food dish. She
ends up with a pink beak and I refuse to play "kissy bird" when she has
pigged out on them. <G> I have a hyooge bush of them in the yard that is
a perennial.

Gives a whole new meaning to the concept of "hot lips". ;-)
--
Peace!
Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a ***"
-- Jack Nicholson
Back to top
OmManiPadmeOmelet
Guest





PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: preserving habaneros Reply with quote

In article <1155326709.412501.71540@74g2000cwt.googlegroups.com>,
"frank megaweege" <wvhillrunner@gmail.com> wrote:


Quote:
And everybody is ignoring my canning suggestion.... :-(


I've never done any canning and don't have the supplies so I guess
that's why I ignored it. Plus it seems like a jar full might still be
too much at once, after I opened it.

Sorry excuse... Canning jars come as small as 4 oz. <G>

Quote:
Smoking some other drying method is making sense to me because then I
could use it a little bit at a time.

Agreed.

I just don't agree with freezing based on _personal_ experience! At
least without blanching somehow and I'm not convinced of that.
Quote:

I need to research dehydrators.

It's not rocket science. I've gotten excellent results on a simple,
cheap convection dehydrator from "Harbor Freight" for around $30.00 per
unit, even doing jerky.

Meat can get touchy. Veggies are no big deal.
--
Peace!
Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a ***"
-- Jack Nicholson
Back to top
Lynn
Guest





PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: preserving habaneros Reply with quote

Well, I am interested in your canning idea for your peppers. I normally just
freeze what I have but would like your recipe for doing this.
This year I use a package of seeds that just said hot mixed peppers and
well saying they are hot is a understatement. I made the mistake of taking a
bite out of a round one (which I thought was just an immature sweet green
pepper) and burnt my mouth.
--
smile Lynn


"OmManiPadmeOmelet" <ompomelet@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:ompomelet-07CD67.14270411082006@news.giganews.com...
Quote:
And everybody is ignoring my canning suggestion.... :-(

Thanks.

IMHO freezing ruins peppers.
I've ended up tossing every frozen pepper me or my mom every tried.

They are......

gross.

I have a dehydrator. Drying in small amounts should be no big deal.

If the smell is that bad, do it out in the garage or a sheltered outdoor
area with an extension cord.

I dry peppers every year, Jalapenos, bell strips and chili petins and
feed most of them to my ***. They are a rich source of vitamin C
that birds need.

She loves them and fresh citrus is messy and attracts fruit flies.

But I'd never offer her an Habanero. ;-) That'd be mean....

Her favorite is a handful of fresh chili petins in her food dish. She
ends up with a pink beak and I refuse to play "kissy bird" when she has
pigged out on them. <G> I have a hyooge bush of them in the yard that is
a perennial.

Gives a whole new meaning to the concept of "hot lips". ;-)
--
Peace!
Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a ***"
-- Jack Nicholson
Back to top
OmManiPadmeOmelet
Guest





PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: preserving habaneros Reply with quote

In article <tB7Dg.39500$pu3.520967@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca>,
"Lynn" <lynn.scott@ns.spammenotsympatico.ca> wrote:

Quote:

Well, I am interested in your canning idea for your peppers. I normally just
freeze what I have but would like your recipe for doing this.
This year I use a package of seeds that just said hot mixed peppers and
well saying they are hot is a understatement. I made the mistake of taking a
bite out of a round one (which I thought was just an immature sweet green
pepper) and burnt my mouth.
--
smile Lynn

Oops... and owch eh? <G>

I've always dried peppers, but I'll post over on RFC and see if Barb has
a canning recipe for them.

She cans _everything_!!!
--
Peace!
Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a ***"
-- Jack Nicholson
Back to top
zxcvbob
Guest





PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: preserving habaneros Reply with quote

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
Quote:

And everybody is ignoring my canning suggestion.... :-(
Thanks.

It will not be a good method for habaneros. You will have to pressure
can them for a long time and they will turn to mush.

But here's how to do it if you really want to try:
http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_04/peppers.html

It seems to be mostly aimed at thick-fleshed peppers rather than
thin-fleshed peppers like habaneros.

Quote:
IMHO freezing ruins peppers.
I've ended up tossing every frozen pepper me or my mom every tried.

They are......
gross.


You don't freeze them for eating fresh, you freeze them for cooking
with. Especially habaneros because they are so hot.


Best regards,
Bob
Back to top
The Cook
Guest





PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: preserving habaneros Reply with quote

On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 21:25:58 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
<ompomelet@gmail.com> wrote:

Quote:
In article <tB7Dg.39500$pu3.520967@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca>,
"Lynn" <lynn.scott@ns.spammenotsympatico.ca> wrote:


Well, I am interested in your canning idea for your peppers. I normally just
freeze what I have but would like your recipe for doing this.
This year I use a package of seeds that just said hot mixed peppers and
well saying they are hot is a understatement. I made the mistake of taking a
bite out of a round one (which I thought was just an immature sweet green
pepper) and burnt my mouth.
--
smile Lynn

Oops... and owch eh? <G

I've always dried peppers, but I'll post over on RFC and see if Barb has
a canning recipe for them.

She cans _everything_!!!

I just checked the latest Ball Blue Book and the new Ball Complete
Guide to Canning and for hot peppers they only list freezing and
drying.
--
Susan N.

"Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral,
48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."
Vittorio De Sica, Italian movie director (1901-1974
Back to top
George Shirley
Guest





PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: preserving habaneros Reply with quote

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
Quote:
In article <tB7Dg.39500$pu3.520967@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca>,
"Lynn" <lynn.scott@ns.spammenotsympatico.ca> wrote:


Well, I am interested in your canning idea for your peppers. I normally just
freeze what I have but would like your recipe for doing this.
This year I use a package of seeds that just said hot mixed peppers and
well saying they are hot is a understatement. I made the mistake of taking a
bite out of a round one (which I thought was just an immature sweet green
pepper) and burnt my mouth.
--
smile Lynn


Oops... and owch eh? <G

I've always dried peppers, but I'll post over on RFC and see if Barb has
a canning recipe for them.

She cans _everything_!!!

AFAIK Barb doesn't can peppers. Canning them will not make them like
fresh peppers. Mostly you end up making a pickle of them as follows:

Cap the peppers so the pickle can get inside and out. Sterilize a jar,
fill full of peppers. Bring a pickle of 50:50 5% vinegar and water with
whatever pickling spices you might like to a boil. Pour over the peppers
in the jar and put on the lid and ring, hand tighten. Boiling water bath
for at least 5 minutes, take out and allow to sit on a folded towel for
24 hours. Should last up to two years with no problems.

George
Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Index -> Edible gardening (rec.gardens.edible) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 

FAQFAQ  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups




Usenet and forums posts belong to their respective authors. Everything else is (c) 2004 - 2006 Web-S-Sense Pty. Ltd.
Terms and Conditions of Use