DIYprojects.info
DIY Guides | DIY Projects | DIY forums, newsgroups



SearchSearch
RegisterRegister Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Gerbera Daisy Over Wintering

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Index -> Gardening (rec.gardens)
Author Message
Catty One
Guest





PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: Gerbera Daisy Over Wintering Reply with quote

Hello All,

Zone 5 north of Boston here.... I have 8 Gerbera Daisies that I'm going to
have to dig up and do something with for the winter. I don't think I could
cover them w/enough mulch to survive a New England Winter. Should I dig 'em
and pot 'em and store them in my garage? It doesn't get below freezing in
there, it's where I keep my Japanese Maple every year for its dormancy
period ... would the Gerberas like the same atmosphere?

Should I just make them houseplants for the winter, or would they prefer
some sleepy time?

Thanks
Back to top
Dana Schultz
Guest





PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Gerbera Daisy Over Wintering Reply with quote

I have never tried to leave them outside. I have tried overwintering them
but they always get powdery mildew and I lose more than half. I have never
had success with them from seeds so I just gave up and buy new ones in the
spring.
I am 5b

--
Dana
www3.sympatico.ca/lostmermaid
"Catty One" <me@nowheregreat13.com> wrote in message
news:PbGdnZ_SndwaWq_eRVn-ig@conversent.net...
Quote:
Hello All,

Zone 5 north of Boston here.... I have 8 Gerbera Daisies that I'm going to
have to dig up and do something with for the winter. I don't think I
could
cover them w/enough mulch to survive a New England Winter. Should I dig
'em
and pot 'em and store them in my garage? It doesn't get below freezing in
there, it's where I keep my Japanese Maple every year for its dormancy
period ... would the Gerberas like the same atmosphere?

Should I just make them houseplants for the winter, or would they prefer
some sleepy time?

Thanks

Back to top
Catty One
Guest





PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Gerbera Daisy Over Wintering Reply with quote

Thanks. I know they wouldn't make it outside ... so I guess I'll dig 'em up
before the first frost, plant them in some good soil and put 'em in the
dark. Either way they have to be dug up so I might as well do it now before
spring comes so I can just put something else in there.


"Dana Schultz" <lostmermaid@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
news:R6a_e.4473$cq2.446552@news20.bellglobal.com...
Quote:
I have never tried to leave them outside. I have tried overwintering them
but they always get powdery mildew and I lose more than half. I have never
had success with them from seeds so I just gave up and buy new ones in the
spring.
I am 5b

--
Dana
www3.sympatico.ca/lostmermaid
"Catty One" <me@nowheregreat13.com> wrote in message
news:PbGdnZ_SndwaWq_eRVn-ig@conversent.net...
Hello All,

Zone 5 north of Boston here.... I have 8 Gerbera Daisies that I'm going
to
have to dig up and do something with for the winter. I don't think I
could
cover them w/enough mulch to survive a New England Winter. Should I dig
'em
and pot 'em and store them in my garage? It doesn't get below freezing
in
there, it's where I keep my Japanese Maple every year for its dormancy
period ... would the Gerberas like the same atmosphere?

Should I just make them houseplants for the winter, or would they prefer
some sleepy time?

Thanks



Back to top
frinjdwelr
Guest





PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:01 am    Post subject: Re: Gerbera Daisy Over Wintering Reply with quote

I've over wintered Gerbers in my sun room the last two years here in Wis.
The first year only half barely survived, but last year did really well and
bloomed off and on all winter. It was well worth the effort to see those
cheery red and yellow blooms in the dead of winter. They seem to always get
some form of blight or something, but pulling off any leaves that begin
turning yellow slows it down enough to keep them renewing with feeding.

I stuck them back in the ground this spring and they're still going strong.
I'm trying to decide if I have enough room to pull them in again this
winter, but probably will try.

"Catty One" <me@nowheregreat13.com> wrote in message
news:DqKdnTSDJNHoa6feRVn-uQ@conversent.net...
Quote:
Thanks. I know they wouldn't make it outside ... so I guess I'll dig 'em
up
before the first frost, plant them in some good soil and put 'em in the
dark. Either way they have to be dug up so I might as well do it now
before
spring comes so I can just put something else in there.


"Dana Schultz" <lostmermaid@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
news:R6a_e.4473$cq2.446552@news20.bellglobal.com...
I have never tried to leave them outside. I have tried overwintering them
but they always get powdery mildew and I lose more than half. I have
never
had success with them from seeds so I just gave up and buy new ones in
the
spring.
I am 5b

--
Dana
www3.sympatico.ca/lostmermaid
"Catty One" <me@nowheregreat13.com> wrote in message
news:PbGdnZ_SndwaWq_eRVn-ig@conversent.net...
Hello All,

Zone 5 north of Boston here.... I have 8 Gerbera Daisies that I'm going
to
have to dig up and do something with for the winter. I don't think I
could
cover them w/enough mulch to survive a New England Winter. Should I
dig
'em
and pot 'em and store them in my garage? It doesn't get below freezing
in
there, it's where I keep my Japanese Maple every year for its dormancy
period ... would the Gerberas like the same atmosphere?

Should I just make them houseplants for the winter, or would they
prefer
some sleepy time?

Thanks





Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Index -> Gardening (rec.gardens) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 

FAQFAQ  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups




Usenet and forums posts belong to their respective authors. Everything else is (c) 2004 - 2006 Web-S-Sense Pty. Ltd.
Terms and Conditions of Use